Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream (SAHC) is an emulsified water in oil cream licensed to treat a number of skin conditions, but most commonly used in the treatment of incontinence-associated dermatitis in infants and adults. The pharmacodynamic properties of its active ingredients are:
- Zinc oxide – A dermatological agent with astringent, soothing and protective properties.
- Benzyl alcohol – A local anaesthetic with disinfectant properties.
- Benzyl benzoate – A constituent of many natural balsams and is one of the principalesters of Peru Balsam.
- Benzyl cinnamate – The other principal ester of Peru Balsam BPC 1973. It is synthetised from benzyl alcohol and cinnamic acid which has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Peru Balsam is categorised as having a mild antiseptic action because of cinnamic acid and its derivatives present.
- Lanolin (hypoallergenic) – Resembles the sebaceous secretions of human skin. The grade (hypoallergenic) used is manufactured so as to exclude many sensitising substances present in the lanolin.